A little while ago, a friend of mine gifted me a book called “The Go-Giver.” And I’m ashamed to admit that I didn’t get to it until just recently. I attended the Vigor Ground Fitness & Business Summit a few weekends ago, and I heard a presentation from the host, Luka Hocevar, in which he encouraged everyone to focus on giving back to their local communities. So I decided to take action immediately…
- On the drive home, I listened to the audiobook of The Go-Giver.
- The day after, I finally read the book.
- The next day, I contacted Helen Higgins, the CEO of the Boys & Girls Club of Corvallis to ask how I could help.
BIG ACTIONS = BIG RESULTS
Last week, I met with several staff members from the Boys & Girls Club of Corvallis to talk about volunteer opportunities, and luckily they were very receptive to my idea. They are just beginning a Middle School training program where over time they want to implement kettlebell training and bodyweight training, amongst other ideas. So my first order of business is going to be to train up their coaches and staff on the basics of mobility, movement, and kettlebells!
We have our first coaching session scheduled for Tuesday, October 1st. #DTFW
In addition to coaching and helping them directly, here is what we will also do at the SHOP to continue to show our support.
Our Saturday Class will now be a donation-based workout! But let me clarify a few things first…
- Once a week, I will coach their middle schoolers as a part of their new training program for kids
- I will be making a $10 donation every Saturday to the BGCC as part of our new donation-based Saturday class
- You are NOT required to make a donation. If you are a current member, this will be just another Saturday class
- If you are so inclined, we will welcome a donation in any amount (from $1 on up) that will get added to the weekly collection
- Drop-ins pay a $20 fee, as always, and the SHOP will add this to the weekly donation
- Guests pay a $10 fee, as always, and this will also be added to the weekly donation
In short, there will be no change to members, drop-ins, or guests. The only change will be felt (positively) by the Boys & Girls Club of Corvallis!