Like all great things, the Skaggs House of Pain had modest beginnings. Part guest room/part workout room, the original SHOP squat rack, barbell set, and pull up bar shared a humble space with a bed and dresser in a Dallas duplex in 2007—and they shared a building with an upstairs tenant who didn't appreciate deadlift days at 5am. Though it started out as little more than a place for Drew to work out, in 2008 when he and his wife Lauren moved to a house with a garage, Drew took his first real steps toward making the SHOP a business.
With his priorities in line, Drew painted and finished the floor of the new garage SHOP before he actually owned the house so that move-in day couldn’t become a missed workout day. Over time, Drew added equipment and clients, and it evolved into the Corvallis, Oregon location you see today.
The SHOP is a whopping 3,400 square feet of open space including a 25-yard turf area for sprinting, speed/agility drills, sled-dragging, and prowler-pushing. With two showers, there is seldom a reason you can’t make it to the SHOP. You can leave smelling and looking as sweet as when you first walk in.
We don’t use machines here; we make them. The equipment we use is designed to provide functional and total body fitness. To that end, you will find the following here:
- Pull-up rig w/ lifting racks
- Men’s and women’s Rogue barbells
- Bumper plates
- Kettlebells (26#-97#)
- Dumbbells (10#-120#)
- Medicine balls (4#-25#)
- Battling ropes
- Sled and prowler
- Assault AirBikes
- Jump ropes
- Sledge hammers and tractor tires
- Climbing ropes
- Resistance bands
- Atlas Stones
- Dip bars
Taming the Beast!
Coach Drew Skaggs: The Down and Dirty Top Five
- Born and raised in Houston, TX (you can take the boy outta Texas…)
- Played baseball at Rice University on scholarship and won the College World Series in 2003
- Trained for four years in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and can render you unconscious in six seconds
- Trained with a former Israeli Special Forces Soldier in Krav Maga
- When Chuck Norris needs training advice, he calls Drew Skaggs
- CrossFit Level 2 Trainer (CF-L2)
- StrongFirst Level II Kettlebell Instructor (SFG II)
- StrongFirst Barbell Instructor (SFL)
- StrongFirst Bodyweight Instructor (SFB)
- Precision Nutrition Certified Level 1 Coach (Pn1) *Level 2 in progress
- Functional Range Conditioning Mobility Specialist (FRCms)
- Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
- Russian Kettlebell Certified (RKC I)
- CPR Certified
I was born and raised in Boring, Oregon. I've played organized sports for as long as I can remember, from basketball to swim team, football, and baseball as well as a variety of other sports recreationally. These sports led to my first experiences with training to improve physical and technical capabilities. I didn't have much knowledge back then about training safely or the benefits of having flexibility, and I feel very lucky I never suffered any major injuries.
I moved to Arkansas in 2012 to pursue my baseball career at Harding University. After a year of baseball I decided that it wasn't for me, but I stayed at Harding for my sophomore year, and the fall of 2013 was when I began my CrossFit career. From my first workouts I knew it was going to be something I’d enjoy. My passion for CrossFit grew tremendously during my time in Arkansas and over the summer back home as well. This experience enlightened me to how impactful quality coaching can be to an athlete’s entire life, and also caused me to start thinking about ways I could pursue an opportunity to begin to coach as well. I decided to transfer to OSU this year and change my major to Exercise and Sports Science, and both have been great decisions. CrossFit has put me in the best shape of my life, met my needs for a physical/competitive outlet, and benefits my everyday activities through its functional movement patterns. It has also provided me an ideal platform to analyze human movement, refine technique, and help others take control of themselves and their surroundings. I’m so glad to have met Drew, and I believe that his philosophy on fitness is very sound. I see no better community to which I could belong, and I look forward to my increased involvement at the SHOP!
- CrossFit Level 2 Trainer (CF-L2)